Powered By Blogger

Monday 8 March 2010

Chukku Kaapi aka Kerala's herbal coffee

"There is nothing that you cannot get in Dubai" ; one hears this statement a number of times from the Malayalis living here. We, Keralites have got a number a things things which we can claim as only ours - like Vishukani, banana leaves, tulsi .... One another such thing is the 'Chukku kaapi' or Kerala's herbal/medicinal coffee prepared by mixing together chukku (dry ginger), pepper, cumins, tulsi, jaggery and coffee powder.

The other day,due to the changing weather conditions prior to the onset of summer, I got a bad cold and throat infection. I was advised by some of my friends here to have chukku kaapi being the best home remedy.I started searching for chukku in the nearby shops , but in vain .... it was not available anywhere. Finally after much searching I got into a less crowded shop without much expectation. When asked for the much awaited 'chukku' the guy said he din't have it but had ready mix 'chukku kaapi' powder. Wow...now that was a surprise to me. Without the menace of gathering all the ingrediants and mixing them to make the coffee, here there was a ready mix capsule like thing which could be boiled in a cup of water for just 2 minutes to get a cure for the illness!!

That night, I had a cup of this wonder coffee and much to my surprise, the irritating throat infection and cold which usually doesn't leave me for a week or so got cured the next day itself. I really had to thank this wonderful ready mix herbal coffee and not to forget, once again I'm tempted to say " There is nothing (atleast Malayali stuff) that you can't get in Dubai".....-

No comments:

Post a Comment