Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 1 January 2013

What lies behind a dream?


Years ago, when I was a small kid studying in school, I had a very rare dream. I was standing alone in the premises of my ancestral home opposite which was a relative's home. As I was about to move to this relative's home, there came a snake; indeed a big one, blocking my way. The snake was very long and of pretty large size. I was standing right at the middle of the snake's length, very well aware that just by keeping my foot across the snake's body, I could get away from it and escape the snake's attack. I could sense that the snake was not in a mood to harm me and was lying there in somewhat a dormant manner. But, I was too scared just by the sight of it and wanted somebody to come and rescue me from there. But, as the usual scenario goes in dreams, I was unable to make any sound or call out for help.I don't know for how long I stood there with the snake in front of me; I couldn't move forward, I couldn't cry out for help; and yes, the snake also didn't move. It was a safe yet scary situation....Like any other dream, it was over after sometime.But like most of the dreams which gets forgotten seconds or minutes after waking up, this was not forgotten. Many a time during my lifetime till now I have thought about this peculiar dream - why did I have such a dream, does it have any significance in my life, why was it never forgotten etc.


Recently I visited Mannarassala temple in Kerala. It was the first time that I visited this temple and the feeling was "why it took me so long to visit this temple of snake Gods".It was an awesome feeling experienced while walking within the temple. It is a family temple and the family members have their "illams"/homes situated around the premises of the "sarpakavukal" coarsely occupied by poisonous snakes. It is believed that these snakes will not harm the people staying here. Infact, there is no precedence of them harming them. Now, isn't that amazing?? Man living in perfect harmony with snakes!!


The story of Mannarassala temple goes like this...It was the time when Lord Parasurama was taking vengeance on the Kshatriyas by killing them far and wide whether guilty or not to avenge for the  death of his parents. In order to get over this sin of killing the Kshatriyas, Lord Parasurama gifts the Brahmanas with a land which is reclaimed from the sea by throwing his sacred axe; the land known as God's own country, Kerala. But this land was inhabitable and uncultivable due to its high salt content. Parasumara was determined to make this land habitable at any cost. He went on a severe penance to please Lord Nagaraja,the King of snakes. Needless to say, Nagaraja was pleased with Parasurama and granted his request. Ferocious serpents arrived at the spot and spread their poison all over. This poison percolated the land wich made it desalinated and habitable with envious greenery. Parasurama then requested Nagaraja to bless the land forever with his eternal presence, which was also accepted by him.


At an auspicious moment, Parasurama installed Nagaraja who is Brahma,Vishnu and Siva in one in a place filled with Mandara trees; the place now known as Mannarasala. The installed deity here represents Anantha (Vishnuswaroopa)and Vasuki (Siva in spirit). Other deites of Sarpayakshi, Nagayakshi and Nagachamundi other Naga deities and their associates can also be found here. There is one Appuppankavu in the temple where it is believed that five hooded Nagaraja still stays doing tapas for the prosperity of his dependants.


Well, I have heard from my mother that my ancestors were also snake worshippers. By going through the story of Mannarassala and how the snake Gods still look after his dependants, I am inclined to think that the snake in my dream must be the snake God who is still around bringing prosperity and well being of his dependants. That could be the reason why he remained so calm without causing any harm....







4 comments:

  1. Let snake God brings prosperity to you always...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a dream similar like yours..... It was during my school days when i was taking a nap one afternoon. I opened my eyes bcoz of some sound like my mom having some conversation in hall. I was not able to hear it clearly. i felt like feeling dizzy and tried to call my mom... i wasn't able to move my hand or legs... even i couldn't open my mouth to call....but i could clearly see things happening around me.. It was like something holding me from doing things.... unsual isn't it...!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its very difficult to interpret dreams...sometimes we see really weird ones which will remain fresh in our minds, and will put us into the thought "why I saw this?"...hope God gave us the power to interpret dreams :)

      Delete